- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans or almonds (optional for a nutty crunch)
You my also like:
- Prepare the Pan: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Make the Toffee: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in sugar and salt. Keep stirring continuously as the mixture comes to a boil. Once boiling, stop stirring and let it cook until it reaches a deep amber color (about 12-15 minutes). Be patient and watch carefully to avoid burning.
- Add Vanilla: Remove from heat and quickly stir in the vanilla extract. Be careful, as it might bubble up.
- Spread Toffee: Pour the toffee mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread it into an even layer.
- Add Chocolate: Sprinkle chocolate chips over the hot toffee. Let them sit for a few minutes to melt, then spread the chocolate evenly over the toffee.
- Add Nuts (Optional): Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the chocolate layer, if using.
- Chill: Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator and chill until set, about 2 hours.
- Break into Pieces: Once set, break the toffee into pieces using a knife or your hands.
- Serve & Enjoy: Enjoy as is, or use it to garnish ice cream or other desserts.