Are these anything like an actual steak? No. Should that stop you from making them? Also no. What Cheesy Baked Cabbage Steaks really are is an opportunity for cabbage to steal the show. And it definitely takes that opportunity — roasted into sweet, mild cabbage glory, these “steaks” are hearty enough for a main dish and seriously tasty. Whenever I make them, they remind me of garlic bread and if I’m reminded of garlic bread when I’m eating cabbage, I must be doing something right.
This isn’t a situation where you need a long list of fancy ingredients. This is more about how the preparation can transform an ingredient, so you really just need four things — cabbage, olive oil, cheese, and some seasonings.
You’ll want to remove the outer leaves from your cabbage and trim off the stem. Remove any leaves that easily come off and don’t be too precious about it — they’ll fall off anyway once you cut the cabbage up. Then, slice the cabbage up into thick “steaks,” about one inch in thickness.
- 1 head green cabbage, outer leaves removed, trimmed and sliced into 1-inch “steaks”
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
You my also like:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a bowl, stir together the olive oil, garlic, onion powder, thyme, 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper.
- Arrange cabbage steaks in a single layer on a baking sheet and brush with the olive oil mixture.
- Bake until cabbage is tender and golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top with mozzarella and remaining parmesan.
- Return to oven and bake until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 5 minutes more. Enjoy!